Monday, March 21, 2011

Silver Linings

I came to the realization that maybe being single is like having a cough.

For me, coughs always take longer to get rid of than just a regular cold. And I hate catching a cough so much more than a cold. But when I have a cough, I always feel like I'm going to just have it forever. Like, "Oh well, I guess I'm just gonna have a cough for the rest of my life!" It's like I all of a sudden can't remember what it feels like to be healthy and to enjoy every day to its fullest, without being groggy from taking too much cough syrup the night before. It's kind of like when you're single. I never really like being single, although I may say things like, "Yeah, it's fun," or "it's not that bad." Deep down I don't think I ever really like it. (although I do think that being alone, and not in a relationship, for a portion of your life is very important in forming your identity and helping you realize who you really are...and really becoming okay with yourself...but after you get past all that...it's not as cool to be alone) But whenever I'm single, I always feel like it's gonna stay that way forever.  I can't remember what it was like to be in a relationship or to be in love. Like, "Oh well, I guess I'm just gonna be single for the rest of my life." But the funny thing about both having a cough and being single, is that the good stuff always sneaks up on you.  One day you wake up and go outside and breathe in the beautiful day and finally realize, "Oh, hey, I don't have that agitating tickle in my throat anymore and my head feels like a normal head and not a balloon head!" And then it's over...the cough is gone! And all this time you thought it would never go away....but it did! Falling in love can sneak up on you in the same manner. And then all of a sudden you don't remember what it felt like to be single! The hard part is that you have to constantly keep up your hope...and faith....that these things will (God-willingly) come through for you one day. And that's the hardest part. But it's also that part that keeps you going. 

So here's to hoping.

laurenthevamireslayer signing off...

1 comment:

About Me

My photo
I'm a quiet person if you don't know me. But I really have quite a bit to say, actually. I'm silly. I bite my hair. I love stories. I can't really listen to a song I know without singing it. I love laughing. I cry when I laugh.

Followers